My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.freezerdinner.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Q and A about broccoli.


Q. I just bought your book and I am so excited to try the receipes. I noticed that you could freeze rice and it tastes good when you microwave it. One of my husbands most favorite meals is brocolli and rice. Is there anyway to freeze broccoli so it keeps in the off season and so he can reheat it in just minutes for lunches. He only has half hour for lunch.

thank you

-Angela


A. I'm so glad you bought the book! Thank you for your business. Prepping Broccoli is similar to pre-cooking the rice. You steam the broccoli for 7 minutes ( I love my microwave steamer which is a plastic bowl with a tight lid on it. There is a small piece of plastic you set inside that seperates the broccoli from the water in the bottom.) Once the broccoli is steamed you can freeze the broccoli in a metal cupcake pan (fill each muffin hole with broccoli) for 1 hour if you would like it in already formed in serving sized portions for his lunch. After it has frozen for an hour or two, place the frozen broccoli shapped cups into a large zip top bag. For his lunches you can pull out one muffin shapped frozen broccoli and heat it in the microwave until warm. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I also use this method to freeze baby food. I puree vegetables or pour soup into my muffin tin to freeze for baby. Also, if you have leftover chicken broth, the muffin tin is a great way to freeze it into 1/2 Cup size portions to use later.


Thanks again and enjoy,


Jenny Stanger